Gail Whitsett (R) Klamath Falls filed as a candidate today to represent District 56 in the Oregon House of Representatives.
Gail is married to Senator Doug Whitsett and has served as his legislative Chief of Staff for the past seven years. She believes that her knowledge of the legislative process and issues, as well as her working relationships with incumbent legislators, will allow her to quickly become an effective representative for the people of District 56.
“I have worked on the front line listening to the needs and concerns of the people that live and work in much of five southern Oregon counties” Whitsett said. “I am confident that my experience in listening and helping to resolve their many issues will help me to better serve the district.”
Gail is a 1974 graduate of Henley High School and earned her Bachelor and Master’s degrees in Geology from OSU. She worked as a geologist in Denver for AMOCO and Standard Oil of Ohio. For the last 15 years she and her husband have owned and operated successful farm and residential rental businesses in the Klamath Basin.
Whitsett believes the most important issues facing the district include:
- Combating high unemployment by creating private sector jobs
- Halting the ongoing decline of private sector businesses
- Reversing the deterioration of our natural resource based economy
- Meeting the critical need to maintain affordable public safety
- Achieving needed improvement in state public education performance
- Improving public health services to our seniors and veterans
The new boundaries of District 56 will encompass the Southern part of Klamath County including the city Klamath Falls and the South Suburbs, as well as a large portion of Lake County including the city of Lakeview.